The Difference Between a Class A and Class B CDL

A commercial driver’s license, or CDL, allows you to legally drive large vehicles such as buses, trucks, and construction equipment. There are several different classes of CDLs, each one offering different privileges and requiring different training. Classes A and B are the two most likely to interest aspiring truck drivers. Here’s a closer look.

Class B CDL

This type of license allows you to drive a single vehicle with a gross weight rating of over 26,000 pounds. It also allows you to tow vehicles or trailers with ratings of 10,000 pounds or less.

CDLThis means you can operate tow trucks, cement mixers, buses, garbage trucks, dump trucks, and utility trucks as long as you have the right endorsements for the type of vehicle and cargo.

Specific endorsements are needed for hazmat transportation, driving school buses and large passenger vehicles, and operating tankers. Each of these options requires additional knowledge and skills testing.

Class A CDL

A driver with a Class A license can drive all the types of vehicles a Class B license holder can—and more. This is the type of license you need if the trailer or towed vehicle you’re transporting is greater than 10,000 pounds.

Therefore, if you want to drive a semi-truck, this is the right option for you. There’s also a separate license endorsement available for driving with multiple trailers, which requires additional testing.

If you’re interested in CDL training, sign up for classes at Hamrick School in Medina, OH. For almost 40 years, this accredited school has offered in-depth training from instructors with decades of experience, including both classroom instruction and practice behind the wheel. Their next class start date is December 2nd, so enroll now. Contact the office at (330) 239-2229 or use the request for information form on their admissions page online.

  • OH Reg. #2057
  • ODPS License #1439-2369