Everything You Need to Know About Tanker Endorsements

If you’ve been a truck driver for a few years already, you may be looking to branch out, broaden your skillset, and make yourself more marketable. The most common way to do this is by obtaining certifications for your CDL. Hazmat and passenger certifications are popular, but more and more drivers are also getting their tanker endorsement. This brief guide outlines the details of this endorsement to help you decide if it’s the right option for you.

A Truck Driver’s Guide to Tanker Endorsements

What Is a Tanker Endorsement?

A tanker endorsement is a certification a trucker driver can earn in addition to their CDL that marks their proficiency and training with trucks designed to carry large loads of liquids and gases. This endorsement is denoted with an “N” on your driver’s license and grants you the legal ability to drive tankers for commercial purposes. Driving tankers can be extremely dangerous without the proper safety training, so this endorsement is crucial for protecting drivers, businesses, and the public. 

truck driver

Who Needs One?

While obtaining your tanker endorsement isn’t required to pursue a career in trucking, not having one may limit your opportunities for growth in the industry. As defined by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), a tank vehicle is any vehicle designed to transport liquids or gases in excess of 1,000 gallons, as long as the individual storage tanks are 119 gallons or larger. This also includes empty tanks that were designed for transportation of such materials and are temporarily attached to the truck. Storage tanks that are empty and were not designed for transportation are exempted from this definition. If you want to haul anything that would count as a tank, you will need to first acquire the proper endorsement.

How Do You Obtain a Tanker Endorsement?

To receive the tanker endorsement, a truck driver must schedule and pass a written test through the DMV. This test consists of up to 30 questions related to the subject, and you’ll need to score an 80% or higher. Once you’ve passed the test, you’re able to add the endorsement to your existing CDL immediately.

If you want to ensure you’re getting the education you need to thrive in the transportation industry, enroll at Hamrick Schoolin Medina, OH. This fully licensed and accredited trucking school has trained thousands of new truck drivers over the decades and prides itself on preparing each student for a long and successful career on the road. Learn more about their admissions process online, and call (330) 239-2229 to discuss financial aid options. 

OH Reg. #2057

ODPS License #1439-2369