Website Portage County
POSITION AVAILABLE: CDL Truck Driver
POSTING DATE: Thursday, April 29, 2021
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Open Until Filled
DEPARTMENT: Solid Waste Management District
LOCATION: Kent, OH
WORKING HOURS: Monday-Friday, 5:30 am – 2:00 pm, hours may vary
SALARY: $19.12/hr.; $20.12/hr. after 150-day probationary period
FLSA STATUS: Classified, non-exempt
Responsible for driving and operating of dual-drive fully automated side load collection truck, automated front load truck, commercial front load truck, commercial rear load truck, and roll off truck, each exceeding 26,000 GVWR, to pick up and dispose of recyclable materials.
High School education or equivalent is required and two years of experience driving vehicles over 26,000 GVWR. Special training in vehicle operation and maintenance preferred. Must have possession of a valid Ohio Class B CDL with airbrake endorsement and maintain licensure and eligibility under employee driver eligibility standards, through tenure of employment.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
Drive and operate a dual-drive fully automated side load collection truck, automated front load truck, commercial front load truck, commercial rear load truck or roll-off truck following established schedule to pick up recyclable materials at collection sites or along curbside collection routes. Dump the carts into a hopper on the front or right side of the truck using a joy stick, mechanical arm and cameras. Operate the packer to pack and dump materials collected. Operate all equipment in a safe and proper manner to reduce accidental damage and extend equipment life. Complete assigned route in the time allotted to collect between 800-1400 carts daily, depending upon route assignment for the day, as a one-man crew. Check daily work assignments such as special pick ups. Perform basic routine maintenance including but not limited to: maintaining cleanliness of truck (internal/external), adding necessary fluids, checking tire pressure, etc. Complete daily pre and post trip inspections on assigned vehicle. Return completed forms to office daily. Inform supervisor of defects, repairs or conditions that would prevent the safe operation of the truck and which are needed for the vehicle to be maintained fully. Communicate with the public and District staff to assure satisfaction with pick up
schedule and to address concerns and comments. Develop and maintain courteous and effective working relationships with the public and co-workers. Must be able to learn and efficiently run multiple routes.
For full job description, visit the Employment tab on the County’s webpage.
HOW TO APPLY:
- THE COUNTY APPLICATION FORM IS REQUIRED WHEN APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION.
- APPLICATIONS CAN BE DOWNLOADED FROM THE COUNTY WEBSITE: https://www.portagecounty-
- APPLICATIONS CAN BE FAXED, EMAILED OR MAILED:
PORTAGE COUNTY HUMAN RESOURCES
449 S. MERIDIAN STREET, 7 th Floor
RAVENNA, OHIO 44266
EMAIL: HRD@PORTAGECO.COM / FAX: 330-298-4225
PORTAGE COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER (EOE)
Summary of Benefits:
- Low deductible Medical Plan which includes vision, prescription, and hearing coverage
- Dental Insurance
- Medical & dependent reimbursement programs
- Voluntary insurance (life, disability, accident, critical illness and cancer)
- Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS):
Employee contributes 10%, Employer contributes 14%
- Deferred Compensation plans (457)
- Membership to the Seven Seventeen Credit Union
- Wellness Incentive Program – Gym Membership reimbursement up to $30.00/month
- Employee Assistance Program through Life Services EAP
- Sick Leave – 15 days earned per year that accumulate without limit
- Paid Time Off (3 personal days & 2 weeks’ vacation after 1 year of employment)
- Holidays – 12 paid holidays per year
To apply for this job please visit www.portagecounty-oh.gov.